A good night’s sleep is vital if you want to be energized and mentally alert the next day. For this reason, I often wonder what bedtime routines successful people have that helps them get the sleep they need. I have always presumed they have a perfect bedtime ritual that we’d all love to emulate when you cant sleep at night.
It might actually surprise you how normal their bedtime routines are. It turns out that one thing many of them have in common is that many of them will read at night, instead of being a couch potato in front of the TV. Business Insider recently featured an article profiling the nighttime habits of the rich and famous, which might offer some valuable tips if you want to know what can help me sleep tonight?
1. President Obama often describes himself as a “Night Owl” and spends most of his night either writing or reading before going to bed.
2. Arianna Huffington also reads at night to help her get to sleep, and prefers to read the “Real” books rather than on iPads, Kindles and laptops.
3. Bill Gates makes it to a point to spend at least 1 hour of reading before going to bed.
4. Vera Wang often reads at night and considers her bedroom as her sanctuary where she can have a complete undisturbed rest all by herself.
5. Tranquility on working at night keeps him ahead of his work, said Michael Lewis.
6. Kate White chooses to work standing up by her kitchen counters while writing, which she finds more effective rather than sitting comfortably on a chair to help her fall asleep.
7. Taking a walk every night before going to bed Helps Joel Gascoigne to stop thinking about work and evaluates the day’s work.
8. Writing down 3 things to accomplish the next day is What Kenneth Chenault does to stay focused late at night.
9. Benjamin Franklin used to write his diary at night to track his daily improvements.
10. Taking a short nap in the afternoon gave Winston Churchill an extra boost to work longer hours than most.
11. Stephen King can’t go to bed without brushing his teeth and washing his hands first, he then arranges his pillow pointing in a certain way he likes.
12. Sheryl Sandberg wants her sleep undisturbed so she makes it a point to turn off her phone before going to sleep.
13. Famous author Michael Lewis and Cosmo Editor-in-Chief Kate White both claim to overflow with creative juices at night.
Hopefully some of these insights will help next time you’re lying awake at night and wondering why cant I sleep? Try adopting some of the bedtime habits of rich and successful people so you can help your mind and body to power down so you can feel more revitalized for the day of solid work ahead.