It is frustrating when you cant sleep for hours at night. Especially when you need to wake up early the next morning to catch a flight, to go for an interview or any one of a million important tasks done better without another sleepless night.
It’s almost funny how satirical how energetic you can feel when you cant sleep but are still wide awake. So here are five things to do when you cant sleep that might help your mind and body to relax:
1. Get up and do something – If you are feeling restless, you can walk around your living room to your bedroom and reserve your bed for sleeping. Avoid watching television or eating in your bed. Instead, grab a blanket and read a book downstairs or in your living room. This help your mind to feel more at ease and make you feel relaxed.
2. Try to stay awake during the day – This is why most people miss their flights the following morning because they tend take a nap on just a few hours early before their bedtime. So the tendency is they will be widely awake past midnight and doze off a few hours before their flight.
3. Do not drink too much before your bedtime – Drinking too much alcohol and taking drugs can affect your sleeping patter. Stimulants such as nicotine and drinking too much caffeine that contained in teas, coffee and energy drinks can make you stay awake at night.
4. Do not eat too much when you know you are too close to going to bedtime – The feeling of being full is uncomfortable and you would feel that you have to stay up late just to let your food digest.
5. Dont think about the fact you cant sleep – Finally the most important one is not to think about having insomnia when you are already on your bed. Do not let your brain stay awake because you have subconsciously told it that you are expecting it to occur.
So these are 5 things to do when you cant sleep that might help you overcome your insomnia and get more hours of healthy, rejuvenating sleep at night. What things do you do when you cant sleep?